soggy chips !!

hello all.i fry my own chips at home but sometimes they go soggy.why is this ????!!
19:02 Wed 23rd Jan 2008

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by dave thefish. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

Your fat's not hot enough when you put the chips in?
Or you are using the wrong type of potato - try maris pipers

It could also be that you are trying to cook too many in one batch.
Probably a combination of the two above answers. Putting the raw chips in the pan cools the oil/fat. The trick is to have the oil/fat hot enough to start with, and add only enough raw chips so the temperature of the oil/fat doesn't get too low. Do them in small batches, and keep them in a baking tray in a warm oven while you do the rest.

Having the temperature too high will give you chips overcooked on the outside, but not properly cooked on the inside.

You'll get the hang of it with practice! Good luck!!!.
For the nicest chips ever!!!!! Cook them until just before they start turning brown. Take them out of the oil and leave to cool. Then reheat the oil until it's really hot and put them back in. This crisps them up and they are truly lovely!!
Have to agree with ummmm, although the oil has to be very hot in the first place, otherwise they'll go soggy and stick together.
Also, has anyone ever tried chips cooked in dripping? It sounds revolting to me, but I'm assured they taste wonderful.
They do. ice.Maiden, they do. I'm old enough to remember when practically all fish and chip shops used fat for frying. The first time I tasted chips fried in oil, I couldn't figure out what was wrong with them. I ate them, but didn't like them very much.

Incidentally, I have a theory that the reason we traditionally use vinegar on chips is that, in the old days, it helped break down the fat used in the frying, and made the chips easier to digest.
I always cook my in beef dripping. Same as ummmm and Ice.Maiden I cook them till soft them first then put them back in the hot fat. I always use beef dripping for my yorkshire puddings.
cook them at 160 till they are cooked through, remove from fryer allow to cool, turn fryer up to 190 and recook for couple of mins, they will be fluffy inside and lovely and crisp on outside
Yes valerieb - I've also heard about Yorkshire puds being cooked in beef dripping, and apparently they're very tasty!
You may also have a point about the vinegar, heathfield, which is interesting because drinking it's supposed to help with weight loss - and doesn't, as some say, "dry the blood up". Perhaps with you saying it was thought to breakdown fat used in frying, there's a connection there.
Lorri`s got it right. About 6 mins at the lower temp, not allowing them to colour, then 2 mins at v. high. Oh, & rinse them with cold water & shake dry-ish to remove starch first.
be sure the potato doesn't oxidise before you fry them. As this makes them go all floppy & soggy. Keep them in a bowl of water if they aren't going staright into the pan within seconds.