Cheque in US dollars

How can I obtain a cheque written in US dollars most cheaply. The cheque amount would be under $20, yet bank charges alone are likely to exceed this.
11:41 Sun 18th Mar 2012

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by 08012006. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

Can I ask what you want it for? There may be a better way to send the money than a cheque.
I had hoped to pay by plastic, but that's not possible in this case.
I do not have the recipient's bank details, so may have to send cash and hope for the best, unless you can suggest otherwise.
Do you have paypal ? if so use that as long as they have an email address.
Otherwise get a $20note and send by ' international signed for'
I was thinking paypal. They do all the conversion and everything for you and their conversion rate is fair
Thanks for your advice
Santandar do it as a counter service if you have an account. Charges were not excessive but it was not quick because staff were not familiar with the process.