Benefits and Savings

My husband has an opportunity to take a early pension, which includes a lump sum. How will this affect any benefits I am claiming. Does DWP treat money in a current account as savings?
17:53 Fri 19th Feb 2010

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by bestmum. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

yes, any money you have access to is counted as capital for benefits purposes. and now it depends what benefits you're receiving. you should declare all capital for means tested benefits, anything over £6k may well start to reduce your entitlement.