tax question (boring, sorry!)

i am thinking about buying a new computer.
as i am a journalist i will be able to set this off against tax.
however, i don't really know wht this means.
if my computer is �2000, does that mean i don't have to pay the tax man �2000, or part of it?
15:13 Tue 20th Nov 2007
Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by cookiee69. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

For more on marking an answer as the "Best Answer", please visit our FAQ.

1 to 2 of 2

Assuming you pay tax at 20% (I know you don't, but it is easy for the example) - it simply means you don't pay tax on the �2000, saving you �400.
You cannot claim the full amount in one tax year, as it would be classed as capital expenditure. You can claim 50% of it this tax year, followed by 20% of the reducing balance in future years.
There is some useful information here

1 to 2 of 2

Related Questions

Sorry just a boring general question. When you have paid off your mortgage and then when your getting a bit older and the kids have finally moved out etc, and you decide to move to a smaller property,...

Latest posts