soft tissue injury to hand/wrist

3weeks ago I sustained a very painful soft tissue injury to my thumb/wrist. an x ray showed a 'line'along my trapezium bone but no fracture or break. swelling has mostly gone down now and pain nearly gone , but fingers still stiff and numb. still cannot make a fist,write or bear weight. Should i be concerned or is this a normal recovery time ? Thank
22:44 Tue 06th Mar 2012

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by Bee35. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

not sure Bee, should be feeling loads better by now!......maybe see your GP if it worries you, have you tried excerising it gently?........may be stiffness because of lack of movement!.......
I am a bit confused here.....you mention a soft tissue injury and then go on to describe a bone abnormality which is certainly not "soft tissue".

What was the nature of the injury..a fall? direct hit?

3 weeks is a long time and I certainly would return to GP as welshy suggested.
Hi.thanks for your responses . it was s direct hit to the side of my hand/thumb. Lots of swelling, lack of sensation . nurse said easier if i had broken it as all nerves etc pass along the area i had damaged. each day is different and i' ll give it til.early next week before going back to Dr as it will be 4weeks by then . :)
Fine.

Fractures of the trapezium are extremely uncommon so it is probable that you are correct in labelling this as a soft tissue injury and giving it more time to resolve.