Is this correct ?

Please could someone explain why my GP has refused me a repeat prescription on the NHS - he will only let me have the medication if I pay privately for it which is double the cost. I have had this medication 5 times before no problem, why am I being asked to pay for it privately now?
18:19 Thu 05th Jan 2012

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by Purple_Popple. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

Why don't you ask the doctor?
could you say what it is and what it's used for?
It could be that the condition you take it for has been classed as a low priority by the PCT
It depends entirely what the drug is - the NHS has fairly tight rules on what can be prescribed by GPs (and how often they can prescribe a given drug).

GPs are also under pressure to reduce NHS costs by ceasing to prescribe certain drugs where the drug concerned is either :

* of limited clinical value
* available more cheaply as a 'generic' (non-branded) version
As an example, viagra has recently been classified as a low priority in my area, as has metformin for pcos (as there is limited evidence on its usefulness) Also, drugs for restless leg syndrome are unable to be prescribed here now too
The surgery receptionist wouldn't let me speak with my GP to ask, she just said 'Im afraid that is the decision he has made', so I will speak with the practice manager tomorrow and ask why.
Oh the drugs are for anxiety.
or just tell us what it is :)
maybe the doctor dosen't think you have a clinical need for them? (although then he wouldn't offer it privately)
perhaps there is a different drug that's more effective
I understand the need to reduce costs that makes sense.
Diazepam Bednobs.
Perhaps it is something which the Primary Care Trust (who monitor the surgery prescribing budget) are no longer reimbursing him for. If a drug is felt to be of limited therapeutic value or evidence has come out that there is a better drug (or a cheaper version) then it may be taken off the approved formulary.
Has it made you anxious that you might need to pay privately for it ?
He is probably going to offer you a lower cost version of the drug. There are many common medications where the 'name brand' versions cost a heck of a lot more than the generic version. Ventolin and salbutamol are classic examples of this.
Daffy's probably right - where a drug has come off licence, it can be bought under another name much more cheaply.
It will cost me £20.50 although not sure for how many tablets.
As it is Diazepam doctors are reluctant to prescribe it long term because of it's addictive nature. Also some Health practices have protocols that limit the amount of repeat prescriptions for this medication.
That wouldn't really explain why she can still have it if she goes private though penelope.
Seems a bit odd to me - diazepam is a generic (cheap as chips) drug and is effective in anxiety - for short periods as penelope says.

Either it should be continued on the NHS or it should be replaced by a different (less addictive) drug - a private prescription makes no sense.

If you get no change out of your GP/practice then ask for the phone number of the PCT PALS service - they exist to help with queries like this & should get a proper answer for you.
Thanks all, that has made things a bit clearer, I only have about 1 prescription a year for this at at that.
typical receptionist answer -receptionist are not medically qualified and rarley know anything other than booking appointments and fobbing you off, which their very clever at! - trust me, i used to deal with GP receptionists all the time

anyways my experience was that i was prescribed omeprozole for acid reflux which for whatever reason did naff all - so i went private and the private doctor prescribed me nexium instead - randomly, and for no real reason, they were alot more effective. when i went back to my NHS GP - they were happy to give me a repeat perscription for nexium with NHS prices - yet they refused me nexium initially because its more expensive apparently... but it doesnt seem to make sense that just because a different doctor prescribed it now cost isnt an issue and theyll gladly give me the repeat prescription of nexium...

PCT's can be a bitch though - theyll pedal the whole patient care thing but its all B.S - all their interested in is money :P i had a really nice ordeal with them when they surgically removed my eye - one implant didnt work so instead of ordering a new but yes, more expensive one, they kept putting me under for surgery to repair it because the cheap implant didnt work. after 6 or 7 tries that actually cost them MORE in the long run! (there were loads of other things involved though it wasnt that simple... long story!)