piriton for dogs

I have read the posts about this but was wondering what the dosage would be for a slightly overweight cocker spaniel.
Katie has had sprays and creams but they don't help a lot. She has just been clipped and is now scratching like mad so I thought I would try piriton over the weekend to see if any improvement. If not I'll take her to the vets on Monday.
Any help appreciated.
16:34 Fri 28th Jul 2006

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by rogerr. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

If you give your vet a ring they'll probably be able to prescribe her an accurate dose according to her weight.
They were already closed when I posted, and not open until Monday. Ta anyway.
Based on the weight of your dog (about 15-17kg) I would say no more than one 4mg tablet per day, but don't take my word for it!

When using Piriton you are always advised to see a vet first because the drug can have many side effects including vomiting, diarrhoea, and drowsiness. Piriton may also interact with other medications that Katie may be taking, and in rare cases the dog may be allergic to the drug.

Try to keep Katie dry over the weekend in the meantime - if the skin gets wet it may make it more itchy!
Noweia has got it just about covered. My dog gets itchy sometimes at this time of year despite the latest flea treatment, and I give her 2mg of piriton a day (but for only periods of about a week) under the advice of my vet. She is about Westie sized & otherwise fit & well.
Thanks for the advice. I think I had better leave it and see the vet on Monday.