Maggot

Has anybody have any idea how to kill maggots in and around our wheelie bin. Any help would be appreciated.
21:28 Thu 25th Aug 2011

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by bestmum. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

2 Next Last

Prevention - don't let flies get near unwrapped food- no maggots.
Sweep em up and boiling water for your present plague!
Get a chicken and put it in the wheelie bin. The hen should eat all the maggots I have been told.
Might also check whether the lid is seating properly and always seal food waste bags tightly to keep the flies out. If you're feeling flush there a firms that come round and clean the wheely bin, at a price.
Are you putting the wrong kind of rubbish in your wheelie bin? You should put food in your food bin (in Bristol a small brown one) which gets emptied every week as opposed to once a fortnight for the wheelie bin. It is food waste, especially meat products, which generate maggots. If it is emptied once a week the maggots haven't got time to hatch and feed.
I like the chicken idea :-)
We get our wheelie bin emptied then cleaned professionally ever 2 weeks, we double wrap stuff and make sure everything is bagged.but when i went to the bin before there were maggots in the bin and on the floor around the bin area. Tried to put bleach on them and didnt make any difference. Thanks all for your help
If they are around the wheeliebin you need to train your tribe to make sure that any food offal goes IN the bin. The maggots are only cleaning up the food that is on the ground and so saving you from a really nasty disease.
Always wrap food that goes in the bin, flies have a way of getting into everything when they want to lay eggs.
starbuck: lots of councils don't have separate food waste bins/collections.
Note to self - 'must learn to type faster'.
I live in Wirral we have a recycle bin ie plastic, cardboard etc and green bin for general waste we dont have a separate food 1 and our bins get emptied alternative weeks.
I don't get a food bin and mine are collected weekly. It was enough time for my bin to get maggots the other week. Neat bleach kills them instantly. BTW it was a chicken that attracted them in the first place!
Ginge - I thought that might be the case, which is why I mentioned Bristol in my answer. I did also think there might be a penalty if they didn't have separate containers, but I could be wrong. If they do not have separate containers it may mean that they empty the wheelie bins every week, which ought to solve the problem. In any case food waste should be well wrapped as suggested, because it is what the flies are looking for to lay their eggs. (Disgusting aren't they?)
Oooooh, stop it!!!!
Somewhere recently I saw the suggestion that you put curry powder in your bin to deter the flies. Not having easy access to curry powder (can't find it in my German supermarket) I tried chilli powder instead, and since I did my bin has been maggot-free. I also scrub it with bleach after it has been emptied and seal all food waste - the combination seems to work.
Boiling water, then dettol - if you live anywere round Portsmouth we only have 2 bins, re-cycle and rubbish, both collected on alternative weeks.
thoroughly clean the bin then sprinkle curry power over the bottom - make sure the lid is always firmly in place.
Cleanliness works every time!!
When you have finished with chicken carcass or anything that will attract maggots..put them in the freezer until your bin is emptied..I've done that ever since we were inundated with maggots around the bin arrrgh.
Talcum powder was the only thing that worked for us. We tried bleach, hot water etc. but they just wriggled up the side of the bin! Good luck in getting rid of the critters!

2 Next Last